Quantcast

Living with Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA)

Dietary Study for PsA

Glad to hear the dropping sugar may help. I put on 40 pounds while on pred for 6 months. It didn’t go away once I got off the pred. First time I quit sugar about 8 years ago I had hypnotist friend get me off of it. I dropped 40 pounds in 9 months and all I did was cut out sugar. I’m hoping for the same this time. May have to go back to my hypnotist friend or make my own tapes.

Over the holidays I ate small portions of foods not on my ant-inflammatory diet and felt horrible! Traditionally my family eats homemade waffles on Christmas morning. I had two with a little pure maple syrup and felt horrible within an hour! Then at dinner had mashed potatoes with a little milk and butter (at least little compared to what my mom and grandmother put in) and a piece of cake for dessert and felt horrible again!

It really shows how significant diet is in helping me control my disease. I gained weight too!! Now I am back on the diet and exercise routine and starting to see results. I stopped exercising because I got shingles in early December. It affected my will to exercise but not my will to eat, lol.

Oh well. Maybe one day I won’t be trying to lose weight at the start of a new year!

LOL @Zinnia I actually LOST weight over the holidays. We had so many sweets and other “Junk” I had little to eat. After a few years of the Keto/lo-carb. anti-inflammatory diet NONE of that stuff looks good to me. My kiddos got me a new toy for Christmas in anticipation of our paach trip this summer… I have been turning out jerky, snack sticks, dried fruit etc like there is no tomorrow. But man do I hear you…

Zinnia … how awful. I’m so sorry to hear this. One of my friends got shingles and it was downright nasty. Hope you’re healed now.

It’s nice in a way to get confirmation that what you normally do (low carb / keto) is good, isn’t it? I, too, feel best when I eat on the low end of the carb scale, but nothing as dramatic as you described.

All the best to you in the new year!

Seenie

Prednisone was of course the reason for our weight gain, and have read way to fight ensuing carb compulsion is not not eating which fails, but substituting carb and sugar and processed food w protein and low carb veg such as salad in my case ate smoked salmon, tuna in olive oil, mozzarella cheese, olives, when I go out have a tomato juice, in my case alas without vodka, another staple is eating eggs and bacon any time you are hungry, as a meal. Very soon by substituting good fats such as butter ghee and extra virgin olive oil, no trans fats and packaged foods, with eggs meat fish and veg drink bone broth water tea and coffee no sugar if necessary sweetened with monk fruit your insulin spikes will abate you will no longer feel the need to eat every five minutes and your overweight, being a man, will fall off in spite of past steroids. Have a look at dr jason fung s videos on youtube , dr berry, info on dr longo, we could buy the book the obesity code but free material on the web has been sufficient for me so far, have resumed walking and work after the holidays, have dropped dress sizes, feel more mental clarity, less depressive, and above all am able to walk. It works without hypnotism in this way, let us know about your progress, have a nice day

Please don’t take this the wrong way - any of you. BUT hers the thing YES Predi can cause weight gain but not massive weight gain. The majority happens in the first 5 days of use and tapers there after as fluid retention goes away and cortisol levels are titrated by your physician. That being said 12% weight gain can be expected with long(er) term use.

That’s not to say PsA isn’t a cause but the majority of weight gain ) that is not the result of inactivity is found to be related to Depression which is a normal effect of PsA. In fact multiple studies have shown 58% of PsA patients have substantial weight gain due to depression…

So my new Neurologist is putting me on the anti-inflammation diet! No dairy, gluten free, and whatever else it entails. I see a nutricianalist next month. He thinks my neurological problems might be tied to inflammation.

Went to see him for SFN, he thinksit might be inflammation causing it.

You’re a braver person than me but truly I hope it helps you.

Let me know how what the nutritionist says! I really hope you see results like I have. It is not a cure for sure—but it is a piece of the puzzle for me that really does make me feel better. I am not super strict—I do eat some gluten and drink alcohol occasionally. But I feel worse when I do. And I still crave sugar—but not sugar in dairy or baked goods. I haven’t had any ice cream in three years and don’t feel deprived at all. It is a part of the journey for me that helps me live a more full life. Please keep me updated, Jon_sparky!

Seenie,
I caught my shingles early, thank goodness, so it is not as bad as others have it. I still feel it and it has been weeks, but I only had a couple of small patches.

I bought a product called Keto Creamer from “Karma Kafe”, it does have a little grass fed butter, but it is mainly coconut milk solids and MET oil. My main milk use was my daily double latte in the morning, so I thought I can cheat a little and get this…
I have never seen a nutirionalist before, should be interesting. Been on restricted diet since the 90’s, mainly low carb, Meditranian diet, and gluten free for almost 3 years. It makes things worse, that I cannot eat much soy, and I am a vegetarian of sorts, I eat eggs and until yesterday dairy… But always up for a challenge!
Maybe I will be able to help her? :crazy_face:
BTW I have reduced from 196 to 176lbs, I have already seen a dramatic change in my heart rate, resting rate was 85 now 73 bpm. My blood pressure is still jumping around, goes way up, comes way down, this may be part of the condition I have, I may do a tilt table test at some point, except I was told by the neurologist, that my insurance will not pay for it Good ole Blue Shield…

Saw the dietician today at Scripps La Jolla, going with a anti inflammation diet: Vegan, organic, no soy, lots of green leafy veggeis, “golden milk” from tumiric, cinnomin, and cocnut milk.
Should be interesting, to see if it helps any. My neurologist seems to think it may, so far two weeks have not changed the pain level of the neuropathy.

Also got US vascular imaging of my arms, the nerves looked pretty bad in the elbows and wrists, of course the tech did not dx it, but I plied her with questions about the images. My right ulnar nerve was 16mm, before the surgery it was 22mm above the elbow, she said a lot of times they get stretched and never return to the original shape. There was a white area under the nerve sheath in a crossectional image, don’t know what that was, she would not tell me…

Dietician said I need to eat 65-80 grams of plant based proteins, a day… I be able to do that in a week… :roll_eyes:

Made fresh hummis, soaked and pealed the chickpeas, a little garlic, olive oil and salt, putit in my nutrabullet anf instant hummis! Only took a couple of hours to get 10 grams of protein, that was easy… :exploding_head:

Jon, over here we have things called ‘tins’. I will send you some if you want. We can get them with cooked chickpeas in.

Soaking chickpeas and persuading them to cook is a very big waste of life. Peeling them!!??? What the heck?

I imagine it tasted very nice though. Even so, I’m going to stick with my new-fangled tins.

These are just soaked, not cooked, peeling them helps with digestion, and reduces the lectins that are in the skins. They ard great raw as a snack. I will probably just buy the pre-made stuff in the future, but my concoction tasted good, and was easily digested… Just experimenting, finding out what to never do again.

I’ve done a lot of that over the years.

I have made my own hummus as well. It is pretty easy in the food processor. However, I buy my hummus now. Just look at the food label to make sure there isn’t anything added. I love Ithaca brand—it is pricy but better than my homemade and only has the good stuff in it.

I also keep Beano on hand because all the plant-based protein makes me gassy, lol!!

Funny, went to a high end healthfood store, and the lady in the vitamin isle recommended beno, used to use that 30 years ago! Good stuff… I instead got some “Digest Gold” which should be made of gold by the price…

I need a food processor, just useda nutrabullet, a compact bleender chopper.

I think this diet will make me a diabetic, my fasting blood sugar is going up, it was up to 112, when I was eating dairy, it was down to 89. To many carbs and protein is all stuffed with carbs!