Quantcast

Living with Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA)

Different types of psoriasis

I have a diagnosis of mild PsA and have never had a very obvious psoriasis. I know about it in my scalp, where it is a powdery, flakey psoriasis, but it’s been hard to show to any doctor. I also know about it on the soles of my feet, which is like pustular, but it comes and goes. I have had a rash on my chest since giving birth nearly 6 years ago which I’m starting to wonder may be inverted psoriasis. Is it common for PsA sufferers to have different types of psoriasis? I realise there’s no ‘normal’ in this disease but wonder if anyone shares similar variety in their psoriasis

0 Likes

It’s not unusual. I have super mild psoriasis, with just a few spots on my elbows and knees, and I barely treat them. That said, I had flares two years in a row of pustular psoriasis on my hands and feet. Again, not as bad as I’ve heard it described, but I was miserable.

Have you seen a dermatologist to look at those specific spots?

1 Like

The biosphere on your skin is a tricky thing with psoriasis and usually other skin issues creep into the picture. I have had psoriasis since puberty and it has taken different shades throughout my life. I have had cracking of the skin, super itches, huge patches, small patches, small scaly patches and angry super red patches. A dermatologists can help sort out what you have going on. The scalp, elbows, knees, ears, eyelids, legs, groin, fingers, fingernails–watch for pitting, chest–really anywhere.

1 Like

Under your breasts? That’s a common place for inverse psoriasis.

Like @Stoney says, you need a dermatologist to take a look. Particularly at the rash which may be pustular I think.

I have had a good old smorgasbord of psoriasis types (though not pustular) and agree that this is often how it goes.

0 Likes

Thanks, yes, under and between the breasts. Like most of my PsA symptoms, it seems to have been activated by childbirth.

0 Likes

Thanks for your advice, everyone. I’ll seek a dermatologist referral as the pustular on my feet is becoming unbearable

0 Likes

For having “psoriatic arthritis” I don’t have much psoriasis… my patches are about the size of a fresh pencil eraser and happen sporadically around my body. I actually got the joint pain before I had any psoriasis. It’s a weird disease…

0 Likes