Quantcast

Living with Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA)

Flying in Australia

Hi all, does anyone know if you need a letter from your doctor to take biologics on a plane for domestic travel in Australia? Flying to a regional airport from Sydney tomorrow and only just realised I needed to take my humira.
thanks

Hi Mac Mac,

They’ve never even been interested with my script let alone a letter at the international in Australia, though I’m not sure I’ve ever taken it on domestic (short trips).

I’d be surprised if it’s an issue, just let the security person who is arranging the bags on the way through scannning know you have an epipen style medicine with a cold pack.

Thanks Jen.

Domestic flights do not allow you to carry any aerosol cans or anything that might be explosive e.g. cigarette lighters in your luggage and none of these on your person. The same applies for cabin luggage as well as any sharp implements in a carry on bag.
Sniffer dogs are at both domestic and international sections of the airport in search of illicit drugs or explosives. The dogs also sniff over your luggage that is put through to be loaded onto the plane. On a domestic flight I had to hand in a metal crotchet hook and a small pair of nail scissors that was in my handbag when it was discovered during the scanning process. If you can easily obtain a letter from your doctor then I would carry one with me. Better to lean on the side of caution and prevent a problem where you can. There are machines used by airport staff that scan items to identify whether or not a drug is illicit or not so you should be alright, however to go through this process you could be delayed. Can you phone the airline and ask them ahead of time?
Bella

Hey @MacMac, since you’ve already flown, can you let us know how you went in case anyone else searches this thread?

Hi @bella and @Jen75, thanks heaps for the input. Just got back from the trip. I did what you advised Jen and told security before the bag was scanned that I had a pre filled syringe with prescribed medication in a container with two ice bricks. They were fine. I made sure to take the meds in the box with the pharmacy sticker on it as additional proof.

That’s great @MacMac, glad it was no trouble. Hope you had a good trip!

I’ve flown a fair amount, and this has always been my experience: they could not care less! Of course, what I carry is always clearly labeled and pharmacy-stickered. Now little unlabeled bags of white powder might not pass scrutiny quite as easily.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: