Quantcast

Living with Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA)

Medical Marijuana Journey

Nic.Pat, I’m wondering how things are going on your journey. Drop in when you get a chance!

Hello Everyone,

I am just here to give an update on the journey. Still using marijuana as my first response to pain flares and it works for the most part. You need to use it every 2 hours, it doesn't last long. But it is effective. I can take it when I am stuck on the couch, afraid to move and after a few minutes I forget all about it and just get up and go upstairs. Somewhere along the way I realize that I am up and moving and I smile. I have had a couple of flares that could not be managed by marijauna - I almost considered going to the hospital for a shot of something stronger. The pills I have do not work and if the MJ doesn't work, then I know it is bad. But I survived.

My children prefer me a "pot head", as they call me to when I was on narcotics. They joke about it (16 and 18 yrs old). I am less distracted, more involved in life. No munchies so to speak, but food does taste better. Wine especially, the earthiness of the pot seems to go well with a nice red wine. LOL Can't drink on narcotics - but not an issue here.

I have been using at work (if I am not driving within 6 hrs) and no one has noticed. My boss and coworkers have no idea I take it.

No addiction issues, for those people who see it as a gateway drug. I use it every couple of weeks for a few days. I did need it all of January and into February for a very bad flare, but it isn't usually needed long term. I haven't needed it more than 4 days in a row since then. No cravings for it.

So all in all, a good decision to use medical marijuana if you can.

Nic.Pat

Nic.Pat, that is a most interesting report. It sounds like the medical MJ has been a success for you and the doctors who you had to convince to prescribe it must be very interested in the results. Thank you for sharing this with us: it will be of great interest to those who live in jurisdictions where the use of marijuana products has been legalized.

Have you tried patches?

I appreciate this detailed journal of your journey! I am about to try medical MJ. I live in Oregon and have a medical MJ card from my doctor. I don't want to take any more indomethycin or tylenol because of the issues they can cause. I've had PsA for 2-3 years with severe erosion to fingers and toes, and I can feel my knees starting to get involved. I am just about to start methotrexate. I assume, Pat, that you are also on a medication to stop the progression of PsA. I apologize if this was in an earlier post. What do you take?

Which patches are you referring to?

tntlamb said:

Have you tried patches?

Hi Anngreen,

I still take indomethacin and Enbrel. I still have pain everyday. I take the mj for pain relief. I built intolerence to narcotics such as OxyCodone, Percocet and allergies to Morphine and hydro-morphone. The non-morphine based drugs do not seem to be strong enough. MJ works just fine.

Nic.Pat

anngreen said:

I appreciate this detailed journal of your journey! I am about to try medical MJ. I live in Oregon and have a medical MJ card from my doctor. I don't want to take any more indomethycin or tylenol because of the issues they can cause. I've had PsA for 2-3 years with severe erosion to fingers and toes, and I can feel my knees starting to get involved. I am just about to start methotrexate. I assume, Pat, that you are also on a medication to stop the progression of PsA. I apologize if this was in an earlier post. What do you take?

The transdermal THC patches. Mary's medicinals was the first making them.

Nic.Pat said:

Which patches are you referring to?

tntlamb said:

Have you tried patches?

How are you feeling now?

James, I was just thinking of her the other day. How are things with you, Nic.Pat?

James said:

How are you feeling now?

TOP is back. MM works! When health insurance is not affordable, this will be.

There’s a pill form that is available. Ask the dispensary about this. Works very well!

This is so weird… i was just looking for topics about this and suddenly here you are replying on one! Haha

Oh it’s a long post… I’ll read first before I’ll ask something that’s already answered…

Appreciate your input. I am in BC, and have just decided to come off my meds (2 DMARDS and Meloxicam) and try medicinal MJ. I was tired of side effects causing as much problems as the PsA. I now have bowel inflammation and had to stop my NSAIDS so am in more pain than ever, so hoping the MJ will help…seems several studies have shown very good results for inflammatory bowel disease.

Hello, Corrie! Nice to have you drop in. It would be nice if other responders on this thread would say hello and tell us how they are doing.

Is anybody out there? How are things with you?

I would definitely like to here from Pat re how it has gone for her. I am also in Canada. Just waiting for my Doctor to set up my Skype appointment. After the interview, he will send in the forms and I will then be able to order. Hope it helps as I am in a lot of pain and really needing some relief.

I’ve been on pot for a long time. I found the healing process when I started body building. After every workout it helped with pain and the inflammation! Now with PSA it helps along with my other meds. Helps you sleep better!