Quantcast

Living with Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA)

Psoriasis and Cellulitis?

I’ll try to attach a photo. I’ve had a dark red spot on my calf that just won’t respond to my normal psoriasis cream (betamethasone)—actually it seems to get worse from the betamethasone. So off and on I’ve applied some OTC antibiotic ointment, and sometimes I just leave it alone and do nothing, hoping it’ll clear up on its own, but this has been going on for several months. This morning, the area around it started hurting, so I showed a picture of it to my daughter who used to be a nurse in a dermatology clinic. She thought it looked like a basal cell carcinoma so I got an afternoon appointment with my dermatologist. The dermatologist thought it was simply a stubborn spot of psoriasis, so she injected it with a steroid. I told her how I had some pain/tenderness near it, and she felt the area above it, but she didn’t seem concerned.
A few hours later it started hurting more, and I was surprised to see that the area above it is now swollen a bit and pink. I don’t know if this is cellulitis or what? If it is, can it go away on its own, or do I need antibiotics?

0 Likes

Hello Grandma_J,

I don’t know it it’s cellulitis but the fact that there’s a swollen, reddened area above it would concern me. And I’m pretty sure that cellulitis does need prompt treatment. I think you need to get back to your primary care doc soon as.

0 Likes

Yes @Sybil is spot on - back to the doctor you go with that. Best of luck too.x

1 Like

Yep, I realise it may not be what you want to hear, but I’m just gonna echo the other two - a doc needs to look at it promptly. Hope it turns out straightforward, and let us know how you go :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks, Sybil, Poo and Jen…I always appreciate your encouragement…
So my plan was to sleep on it and call the doctor immediately at 8:00 a.m. to see how soon I could get in. Of course, when I got up this morning the pink area had shrunk and was lighter, so I didn’t bother to call. Oh, and someone told me if it was a blood clot my leg would hurt like he​:ice_hockey::ice_hockey:.
Fast forward 8 hours and the pink area was darker and larger again! Ughhhhhhhhh.

We’re having a severe winter storm and driving is horrible…I came straight home from work and don’t care to go out again today. I guess if continues to stay pink and sore in the morning I’ll call the doc.
Can cellulitis go away on its own?

0 Likes

Hey @Grandma_J. I’ve never had that “cellulitis” but I have a friend that had it in her leg about the same place as your spot. Her leg swelled up really big and she said it was very painful. It took a few months for several rounds of antibiotics and a couple of hospital stays before she got well. If I remember right, she said her doctor said it will not go away on its own. It’s a type of infection in the skin.
And if that is what your spot is you’ll need antibiotics asap. I’m not trying to scare you but I wouldn’t put it off anymore than you have to.
I’ll keep you in my prayers.

0 Likes

Oh geez, thanks Angie!
But it’s really not that painful. Just a little sore and prickly.
If it’s still there in the morning I promise I’ll see the doctor. I hate unnecessary appointments because they cost so much! But, on the other hand, hospital stays and antibiotics would be costly, too—not to mention it would put a damper on me taking Enbrel for awhile I bet!

1 Like

I’m sorry for the not so good news. Just in case tho I’d get to your doctor soon. I think my friends got so bad is because she put off going to the doctor for a while until it was just unbearable. I’d just hate for you to have more pain and discomfort. Best of luck. Prayers.

1 Like

Thank you. My nurse daughter said to outline it with a pen so I can see if it gets bigger. She also said they always treat cellulitis with antibiotics. Dang.

1 Like

Never heard anyone with diagnosed cellutitis having it go away on its own. Not once. Please go again to the doctor @Grandma_J. x

1 Like

Well, I got my answer today.

I woke up about 3:00 a.m. with some pain—stinging and throbbing—in my ankle and foot. I could see a vein bulging at my ankle (on the inside of my leg) and it was really hard. Over about an hour, about a 6-inch stretch of that vein was hard and bulging! It was so unusual. On top of that, the place where it had been swollen and pink was still that way, and I could feel tenderness all the way down my lower leg in a skinny line between my shin bone and calf. Plus, my foot was darker reddish purple, while my other foot was pale.

I called my daughter (she’s a nurse) at 8 a.m. and texted her some pics. She told me I needed to get to the ER as a DVT (deep vein thrombosis) or an infection would be very dangerous. The ultrasound at the ER explained everything. It turned out not as severe or dangerous as a DVT. Instead, what I have is superficial thrombophlebitis, which is treated with compression stockings, warm compresses and elevating. My clots started just below my knee and went down almost to my toes, but supposedly they won’t move to my lungs, heart or brain like a DVT could.

What I don’t understand is I’m on daily baby aspirin and an anticoagulant (Plavix), so how could I develop the clots??? I’ll call my cardiologist Monday. I could have a rare gene that prevents Plavix from working.

I just wanted to update everyone because I appreciate all your comments and advice! Glad I took it and went to the doctor!

3 Likes

0 Likes

Aha! There’s a TV programme in the UK called ‘GPs behind closed doors’. They film in GPs’ surgeries and of course the consultations tend to be exemplary. There was a woman with just what you have and the upshot was that it was nothing to worry about, just needed compression stockings etc., like you.

Of course, there could be more to it but does look as if you’re going to be okay without too much hassle. You don’t look as if you have varicose veins, but I thought that was the cause … (?)

2 Likes

Wow! Scary or what @Grandma_J. So glad you got to the doctor and even more glad it’s not more serious than it could have been. And yes given your cardiac meds I’d be wanting a cardiologist to explain to me how this happened. Feet up for the weekend though. x

2 Likes

Wow! I’m glad you found out what’s going on. Definitely time to have a talk with your doctor.

1 Like

Thanks, Sybil, Poo and Stoney! First of all, I apologize for the very ugly feet pic!
I feel lucky it’s ONLY superficial thrombophlebitis :flushed:, but it is sort of scary because I shouldn’t be having blood clots with being on an anticoagulant.
Here I go again, thinking what’s next??? I really think this is partly due to having an auto-immune disease! I think we’re all at risk for these weird/bad things and it SUCKS!

I’m going to share two things. A really crazy goodbye text I sent my three daughters yesterday morning…and some info about my clotting disorder…the info might be needed by some of you someday—never say never with this disease. Anything is possible!

I decided not to send the full goodbye letter, but I can tell you it did include letting you people know if I died! You have to realize, my daughter had me really scared before we went to the ER…It started out: “If I die today…”

1 Like

Wow, that must have been so scary! I’m glad it’s turned out to be something likely so innocuous.

You are right about autoimmune diseases - I had almost the opposite thing happen to me a few months ago. Small knock to the side of the hand while gardening, and when I took my gardening glove off, I had a lump half the size of a small (real) egg on it, and within a day, the bruising had spread all the way down two fingers and to cover three-quarters of the back of my hand, with blood pooling under the skin and around my finger joints. Lasted for nearly two weeks!

Since I wasn’t taking anticoagulants, I freaked about my platelets. Got off quickly for a blood test which was fine, and when I saw my Rheumy, he said that it’s something that just happens to some people without explanation and isn’t dangerous - but it was smart to get the blood test. And all this when I’m feeling really well. Just so glad for you :blush:

2 Likes

I would just like to point out that you are not allowed to bloody well die. Over my dead body!

2 Likes

Glad it had a good outcome, Jen! Something that happens to people with compromised immune systems maybe? You’re lucky that didn’t turn into cellulitis!

Sybil, it’s past your bedtime! I just happened to notice your comment from a few minutes ago! I better not die! What a morbid thought! But, it did make me think how sudden death can be, and most of us never think it’ll happen to us. But some of the things that have happened to me that I never in my wildest imagination would I have thought could happen, have happened! I guess we just have to do our best to stay as healthy as we possibly can (that’s not easy for any of us in this group) :roll_eyes: and hope for the best!

Goodnight now—pleasant dreams!

1 Like

It was 8.45pm here. What time do you think I go to bed??

2 Likes