Quantcast

Living with Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA)

Stomach and flank pain?

About three weeks ago, I was about to go to bed and had a stabbing pain in my right side (about level with the naval, but to the right). Panic set in when it didn’t shift, with me worrying about appendicitis, but it seemed like too high up. After about two days of the stabbing, it started to let up, but has left me with nagging feeling in that area that feels rather like a stitch that you used to get when you were a kid and had run too far. I don’t run now, so never had it as an adult. But it’s that kind of pulling sensation. It’s not there all the time. Some days it’s there more than others. I’ll go hours without feeling it. I can’t say it’s particularly painful, but it’s there. I saw the doc last week and he thought it might be a muscle strain, but I’m not convinced in all honesty - although perhaps that would fit with the stitch feeling. Food doesn’t affect it, neither does going to the loo.

So along comes the big question: arthritis related? I ask that because I’ve also got general back ache at the moment too, and sometimes a pain at the top of my right hip (on the side). No UTI, etc. I have IBS, and it’s normally one thing I don’t worry about healthwise because when it plays up it at least repeats what it had done before. Even IBS has a kind of routine or predictability. I’d like to put this down to it, but it’s going on too long, I think, at two and a half weeks or so. My mind always thinks the worst - but I doubt a stitch like pain with no other symptoms is a sign of anything particularly sinister either.

Anyone else have a similar thing. PsA does seem to have a habit of throwing surprises at us, so I thought it might be worth asking.

1 Like

Two weeks ago I was doing some light yard work and a bit of chainsaw cutting and I was hit with the exact pain as you describe. I too started poking, prodding and twisting etc to see what is causing it. It was so sharp I had to stop moving until it subsided. I also thought appendicitis. But it would go as fast as it came. I also had inguinal hernia surgery a few years ago on that side so I thought maybe the mesh had moved. It was kind of a stab and release slowly. But its been 10 days and no recurrence.,even with swinging an axe splitting firewood. Considering that I get PSA induced random stabbing pain everywhere else, I am assuming this too is PSA related coming from a tender tendon in the top of the hip joint?

It could be a kidney stone. Mine started feeling like a uti for several weeks, then sharp knowing pain in groan one day, and one or two days on my right side on my left side, then sharp pain in back. I’m not sure if it was moving around. I finally had CAT scan and it showed two small stones. Eventually passed after one day I felt like I was in labor for 8 hrs and ended up at ER both times. It eventually passed

Thanks for the replies. This has all been very odd. I first had this happen about nine months ago - stabbing pain for two days and then a kind of residual ache after for about a week. This time the residual ache has gone on much longer - about three weeks now. The doc is convinced its a muscle strain of some kind. I confess I’m not convinced for some reason - but then I’m a worry-gut. I’m always worried that something is growing somewhere! That said, if that were the case I’m sure that it wouldn’t have started last year and then disappear completely for nine months! Or get better (albeit very slowly). And I’d have other symptoms too.

Just to add to matters, I now have shingles not far from where this is happening, and so have got to leave off all arthritis meds. Already feeling the effect of that. It never rains!